Thursday, January 21, 2010

Instant Karma in the Form of Vegetables



I love to volunteer. I've been doing it for years and I can truly say, time and time again, the rewards far outweigh the time investment (That's not to say I haven't had a couple of bad experiences. I can think of two right now. But, it's just like anything some bad, but mostly good.) Once you become a volunteer, you can't help but talk about it because you want others to share the joy and rewards of helping. 


The organization I volunteer with now, Operation Frontline, teaches healthy nutrition and cooking skills to underserved populations. I assist with the classes by packing take-home meal bags, helping the students as they prepare recipes, doing dishes and eating the food they prepare. That's right. I get to eat delicious food at the end of every class. Sometimes, I feel the reward is much larger than the labor. The food is so good and so healthy, the people I work with so kind and the students so appreciative. You really can't ask for more.





Yesterday we made an eggplant stir-fry and roasted root vegetables. I'm a huge fan of roasted veggies. If you haven't tried roasted turnips or parsnips, you haven't truly lived. Ok. That might be a slight exaggeration, but not really. We cut turnips, parsnips, beets, carrots and rutabaga into even sized chunks doused lightly with olive oil and a few shakes of salt and pepper and roasted in the oven. Try it. You'll like it.


And, please, consider volunteering with Operation Front Line in your area. You'll get the satisfaction of knowing you truly are making a difference and instant karma in the form of happy faces and delicious food.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely experience. Thank you for sharing. I agree that it is muy importante to volunteer in and community. I am not currently but am adding that as a goal to my 2010 New Years goal list! I do believe that an important aspect of volunteer work, at least for myself, is to sincerely care about the cause and hence those who are benefited. It is even more thrilling when you feel that you are benefiting as well. Keep up the good work my friend. Your service in the community is irreplaceable. You are the only you and who else can really share with readers this experience and how much they love roasted vegetables!!!
~Carolyn

Kaati Rocketts on January 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM said...

I hope you find a fulfilling volunteer opportunity where you are. It's the best!

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
Colorado, United States
Dreamer, Compiler of Facts, Idealist, Compulsive Yarn Handler, Last Person Picked for Kickball, Willing Participant in Mayhem