Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday Tips: My clothes are soft and they don't smell like vinegar.


I am a big extoller of the merits of vinegar. I love to use it to make cleaning potions and to solve household problems. Growing up my mom would clean the coffee pot every once in a long while by running it through a cycle filled with vinegar. That process, if you've never tried it, has an incredible aroma that cannot be called pleasant. So, that was my solitary experience with vinegar as a household miracle worker, and it stunk.

But, a few years ago, I decided I didn't want to pay exorbitant prices for "green" cleaners and started researching my options. I love, love, love reading books about the olden days so I knew vinegar used to be a common cleaning agent, but I didn't fully understand its powers. Flash forward to today, and I'm all over it, baby!

In the upcoming weeks, I'll share my common (and uncommon) uses for vinegar starting with one of my favorites: Laundry Softener. I fill the liquid softener cup on my machine with white vinegar, add a few drops of essential oil (usually lavender,) and wash. That's it. Couldn't be simpler. My clothes are soft, fresh and don't ever smell like vinegar. I can see your raised eyebrows from here, but trust me, it works, it's cheap and you know exactly what you're wearing against your skin all day every day.

2 comments:

Libby on January 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM said...

Thanks for the tip. I've heard of the medicinal value in vinegar too. Vinegar + water = great for upset stomachs.

Kaati Rocketts on January 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM said...

I haven't tried that for a stomach ache. I'll have to try it next time. I do take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar a day in the spring/summer for allergies. I don't know if it works, but it "feel" like it does. :)

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
Colorado, United States
Dreamer, Compiler of Facts, Idealist, Compulsive Yarn Handler, Last Person Picked for Kickball, Willing Participant in Mayhem