Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tuesday Tips: Natural Ways to Clear the Air


I'm a continual experimenter with essential oils and vinegar. My husband can pretty much expect that my solutions to almost every household problem will include vinegar. But, surprisingly, my air freshening tips do not. Add Image

While I was perusing in the book store last week, I stumbled upon this little gem: Put a few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and place it in your vacuum cleaner bag. Every time you vacuum it will freshen the room. (I don't remember what book I was perusing. I'm pretty sure it was published by Reader's Digest.) I tried it. It works. I put about 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil on a cotton ball, stuffed it in a new bag (it was time to change it anyway,) and started vacuuming. The whole room smelled glorious.

My other smell freshening tip is simple. Get a spray bottle. Fill it with water. Drop in a few or more drops of your favorite essential oils. (Mine are lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint.) Spray when the need arises. One thing I will say about this natural alternative: it doesn't hang in the air for long, but it does clear out a bad smell.

Happy smelling!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this one. I don't have a vacuum but am excited to try the essential oil in water spray trick! -Carolyn Onay

Kaati Rocketts on January 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM said...

I was just thinking...perhaps, other forced air options would work with the cotton ball trick, too. Maybe, tape one on the inside of a forced air vent or on an air conditioning filter? Just a thought. I'll have to try it to see if it works.

Rose on January 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM said...

Great tips on sustainable living. By the way love your blog's new look. Take care!

Libby on January 5, 2010 at 4:00 PM said...

I'm going to definitely try these. I never thought of the cotton ball idea. I'd even put those dryer sheet type things in the vents, in drawers, etc. BTW, lavender is one of my favorite scents. On yesterday I order some sample vials of EOs from sheaessentials.com. 5 samples for $1. That way I can experiment with other EOs without paying the $.

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My photo
Colorado, United States
Dreamer, Compiler of Facts, Idealist, Compulsive Yarn Handler, Last Person Picked for Kickball, Willing Participant in Mayhem